Friday, November 27, 2009

My Fourteenth Date

This guy on jdate messages me using my nickname from highschool... So I say ya, and you are?? He tells me who he is. He was a friend of the guy I dated for most of high school. I totally didn't recognize him. He got taller and better looking and had been working out a lot. He went from a boy to a man. He asked me if it would be weird if he asked me out. I said that it wouldn't be weird for me at all and it depends if he feels it would make his friend upset. He told me that he has had a crush on me since high school and was always jealous of his friend because he got to date me. He was using lines like "you are so hot". We decided to meet one night after I was done work around 10 PM. He walked in and I could tell that he was nervous and acted just as awkwardly as he did in high school. I guess going to the gym does not create self esteem, go figure! That was not all that was the same since then... He still hung out with the same friends, they were all still single, most still living with their parents. And above all, they still smoked pot everyday. He kept begging me not to tell my ex that we were out together for coffee. I told him that we dated 10 years ago and that I highly doubted he would care. i told him that I haven't seen or spoken to him in years but that if I was ever asked, I wouldn't lie. He seemed uncomfortable and nervous and mentioned it a few more times through out the date. In conversation I realized that he couldn't focus on the topic or keep his attention. He interrupted a lot with things that had nothing to do with what we were talking about. It was like that Disney movie "UP". I would be talking and he would get distracted by a "squirrel"! It was actually quite irritating. I felt like I was talking to one of the teens that I counsel except he was in the body of a 29 year old! He had not been in a serious relationship since he was 19 and couldn't understand why. I could!!!! He thought the same type of things we laughed about in high school were still funny. It was so bizarre to see that after 10+ years of not seeing him he only changed physically but remained completely emotionally and socially unchanged. I have been telling my teens about him this entire week and using him as a true life example of what weed can do to you long term, so at least the date was not a total waste!

No comments:

Post a Comment